It’s been 24 hours since Zlatan, Rahman Jago and the 2 others arrested alongside Naira Marley was released from the EFCC’s net but our very...
- Olajide Olatubosun (APC-Oyo state) has been endorsed by north-central forum for election to the position of speaker, House of Representatives in the 9th National Assembly- The group national publicity secretary, Aaron Odeh, said the assembly needs a speaker with a clear understanding of the challenges currently facing the country- A political group, Sustainable Democracy Agenda, earlier called for open balloting during the election of presiding officers of the houseThe north-central interreligious, Intertribal Political Forum, has endorsed Hon. Olajide Olatubosun (APC-Oyo state) for election to the position of speaker, House of Representatives in the 9th National Assembly.Olatubosun, representing Saki west/Saki East/Atisbo federal constituency of Oyo state is a second timer in the green chamber.News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the group gave the endorsement at a media briefing addresed by its national publicity secretary, Aaron Odeh on Sunday, May 27, in Abuja.READ ALSO: Mark it, I will be president of Nigeria - Gov OkorochaThe group said: “As a body interested in the peace and progress of Nigeria, we have come to the conclusion that the House of Representatives needs a speaker with a clear understanding of the challenges currently facing the country.“The house also need a leader with the capacity to cooperate with the executive in providing proactive legislations to confront them.“This is a time to engage a leadership with acceptable mien who can be trusted with power and ability to carry his colleagues along in order to take tough and credible decisions that will move the nation forward.“To this extent, we have taken our time to look at those who have shown interests and have come to the conclusion that none of them is better qualified for the position than Hon. Olajide Olatubosun.”Odeh said Olatubosun is an accomplished accountant and financial expert with vast experience in the private sector before his election into the national assembly.He said the parliamentarian, a second timer, had contributed immensely, both at the plenary and committee levels, to the success of the Eighth Assembly.According to him, “He is a dedicated lawmaker who believed in building bridges across tribal, racial, religious and political lines for the peaceful coexistence of the people of Nigeria.“We, therefore, call on members of the House of Representatives to support Hon. Olatubosun for the speakership position as he possesses all the qualifications required to lead a rancour-free parliament. He will ensure hitch-free legislature-executive relationship.”READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng: a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo OlupohundaOdeh commended President Muhammadu Buhari for his “integrity, doggedness and vision’ to steer the ship of the nation at this trying period.He, however called on him to respect the principles of separation of powers and checks and balances, stressing that they were fundamental to presidential democracy.He said: “The institution of the legislature remains the arrowhead of modern democracy and any act to desecrate it should be resisted by men of goodwill.”He therefore, called on the President to use his position as the father of the nation to allow democracy take its roots and allow the lawmakers-elect to decide those who would lead them in the 9th Assembly.Legit.ng reported that a political group, Sustainable Democracy Agenda, called for open balloting during the election of presiding officers of the ninth National Assembly.Convener of the group, Malam Ibrahim Usman, stated this in a statement made available to journalists on Sunday, April 21 in Abuja.NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better.Election not a do or die affair - Sanwoolu | Legit TV:
- The PDP says its stance that the APC is deceitful has been vindicated by Aisha Buhari's revelation on the federal government's N500 billion social investment programmes in the north- Mrs Buhari says the Social Investment Programmes failed in the northern part of Nigeria- The wife of the president also faulted the $16 million spent on the purchase of mosquito netsThe Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has reacted to the revelation made by the wife of the president, Aisha Buhari, that the federal government's N500 billion Social Investment Programmes (SIP) failed in the north.The opposition party said Mrs Buhari vindicated its stance that the administration is deceitful when she made revelation on the social programmes and faulted the $16 million spent on the purchase of mosquito nets.Legit.ng gathers that the PDP reacted to Mrs Buhari's revelation in a statement by its spokesman, Kola Ologbondiyan, on Sunday, May 26.READ ALSO: Mark it, I will be president of Nigeria - Gov OkorochaThe party said: "More disheartening is the fact that the said funds were meant for the welfare of the poor, whom Mr. President had always claimed to represent in government.“Unfortunately, these poor Nigerians have been waiting endlessly for the failed social investments promised by President Buhari only to have their hopes dashed as revelations by Mrs. Buhari had shown that the money provided for the programme had been stolen.“The PDP holds that now that the truth has been revealed by no lesser Nigerian than Mr. President’s wife, the National Assembly and all anti corruption agencies should immediately commence forensic investigation on how these funds were dispensed and utilized.“Nigerians can now see how the same administration presided over by ‘Mr. Integrity’ has been using the names of innocent poor Nigerians to loot our national treasury and fritter away billions of naira to finance their wasteful lifestyle while Nigerians wallow in abject poverty.“It is indeed appalling that the Buhari administration would be sitting on such colossal corruption and continues to thrive in evil concealment while diverting public attention from their rot by hounding innocent opposition figures on trump-up corruption charges.“The PDP had always maintained that no matter how much deceit and falsehood appear to thrive, the truth must prevail at the end of the day.PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app“Our party therefore charges President Buhari to speak out on the matter and immediately commence the process of recovering the money and channeling it for the benefit of the poor Nigerians.”Legit.ng previously reported that wife of the president, Aisha Buhari, on Saturday, May 25, decried the failure of the implementation of the federal governments' Social Investment Programmes in the northern part of the country.Aisha speaking during an interactive program for women at the State House in Abuja lamented the inability of women in the north to benefit from the programme.NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you betterNigerians set 2nd term agenda for President Buhari | Legit TV
- An APC group in Akwa Ibom state has protested the alleged listing of Akpabio for ministerial appointment- The group said Senator Akpabio's alleged listing for the ministerial position will lead to crisis in the state- The APC leaders said Akwa Ibom state boasts of men of immense integrity who can fit into the ministerial positions to help realise the next level agenda of the APC governmentAll Progressives Congress (APC) leaders in Akwa Ibom state have reportedly written a protest letter to President Muhammadu Buhari, rejecting the listing of Senator Godswill Akpabio for ministerial appointment.The APC leaders under a group tagged Ibom Integrity & Servant Leadership Culture Initiative said that such appointment is an invitation to crisis in the state.According to Leadership newspaper, they claimed that the poor representation of APC in Akwa Ibom state in the last general election was largely due to the destabilising and authoritarian tendencies of Senator Akpabio.The letter titled Ministerial Appointment: Why Appointing Akpabio May be Counter Productive, was signed by the executive vice president of the group, Dr Asuquo Edidem Etim.READ ALSO: Don’t jail looters, kill them - Sinatu Ojikutu to BuhariLegit.ng gathers that the national chairman of the party, Adams Oshiomhole, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) Boss Mustapha and the Chief of Staff to the President, Abba Kyari, were copied in the letter.Akpabio, a former state governor on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and later minority leader in the Senate, defected to the APC shortly before the 2019 general election.He lost his bid to return to the Senate in the last general election.The group stated that the “same Senator Akpabio that in years past, had been your and our party’s nemesis cannot suddenly become the gadfly of your political generosity”.They said Akwa Ibom state boasts of men of immense integrity who can fit into the ministerial positions to help realise the next level agenda of the APC government.The letter read in parts: “Mr. President, this second mandate affords you the opportunity to select your ministers in a manner that will ensure that they do not become liabilities to your government or dent your impeccable image. Characters with known corruption allegations or propensity for pettiness, mischief, treachery, profligacy and vendetta, should be avoided. Senator Godswill Akpabio, unfortunately, is one of such integrity deficient individuals.“Many had thought that his (Akpabio) joining APC would bring cool breeze of good fortunes to the party in the state, but rather his highhanded nature and disrespect for internal democracy in the party and the will of the people to choose their leaders, became a raging storm that uprooted the recognized structures of the party right from the grassroots, as he imposed party leaders from the wards and even unit levels. Leaving many party men and women very bruised, trampled and disgruntled. This sadly affected the chances of our governorship candidate, Obong Nsima Ekere”.“Akwa Ibom has many respectable, level headed personalities that would represent the state with grace at the federal executive, just as our son, Mr Udoma Udo Udoma, Minister of Economic Planning, has done creditably in the past four years. In terms of loyalty to the party and contributions to its development in the state, we have party men including Chief Umana Umana and Senator John Udoedehe, among others who had toiled to keep the party afloat over time in the state”.PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news updateIn a related development, a report by ThisDay indicates that the minister of information, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, is having a hard time maintaining his status as the political leader of the APC in his home state of Kwara.According to the report, the minister is said to be in danger of totally losing his hold on the state and turning into a ceremonial figurehead with little loyalty.The report highlighted that the annual Ramadan Lecture organized by the minister in his native Oro, Kwara state was the beginning of the Alhaji Mohammed's declining status as the Kwara APC leader.Which of President Buhari’s ministers should he retain for 2nd term? | Legit TV
- Cardinal Onaiyekan has urged President Muhammadu Buhari to change his style of leadership- The Catholic cleric said a change in leadership style would restore Nigeria's social-economy- According to Onaiyekan, God has endowed Nigerians with resources to achieve greatnessThe Catholic Archbishop of Abuja, John Cardinal Onaiyekan, on Sunday, May 26, urged President Muhammadu Buhari to change his style of leadership.The cleric said a change in leadership style would restore Nigeria's social-economy.Warning that Nigerians are getting poorer, feeling hopeless and helpless, Onaiyekan said there is tension in the land and poverty increases on a daily basis.Speaking at the inter-denominational church service for 2019 presidential inauguration ceremony held at National Christian Centre, Abuja, the cleric said it is expected that the blame game by the present administration should be over.“As we embrace a new term of government, it should be for us a new opportunity to change ways and review habits of governance, for a better Nigeria."‘’We can and we should do this, God has endowed us with resources to achieve this, resources that we, unfortunately, turn into curses," Onaiyekan said.Onaiyekan said dwelling on blame game will only stagnant Nigeria's progress.He said for a positive change to happen in Nigeria, sincere change of leadership will also need to take place.“The blame game of pointing accusing fingers at others will not carry us far. For a positive change to take place, we must all be ready for a sincere change of heart, from the lowest to highest, but especially at the highest levels.Empty boast and barefaced denials of the realities around us cannot build the nation," he added.Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that Onaiyekan had lamented the continuous illegal migration of young Nigerians abroad despite several reported dangers that they face.READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng: a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo OlupohundaThe Christian cleric, who spoke at a media briefing on Saturday, May 4 in Abuja, knocked the federal government for not doing enough to make Nigerian youths want to remain in the country.He noted that the first way to tackle the ugly trend of illegal migration in Nigeria is to make the country comfortable enough for the young ones to want to stay.NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We keep evolving to serve our readers better.I want to build a television set -13-yr-old aspiring engineer - on Legit TV
- Aminu Makko says Senator Danjuma Goje is the best candidate for the 9th Senate’s presidency- The north east zonal organising secretary of the APC youth caucus argued that the former governor was well grounded in executive procedures as well- Makko described Goje as the father of modern-day Gombe state, saying that his achievements were countlessThe north east zonal organising secretary of the APC youth caucus, Aminu Makko has said that Sen. Danjuma Goje was the best candidate for the 9th Senate’s presidency.In a statement issued on Sunday, May 27, in Abuja, Makko said that of all the people that were contesting the position, Sen. Goje was the most qualified.He argued that apart from the experience gained from many years in the legislature, the former governor was well grounded in executive procedures as well.READ ALSO: Don’t jail looters, kill them - Sinatu Ojikutu to BuhariAccording to the youth leader who is also National Treasurer Young Leadership Association of Nigeria (YLAN) Goje’s Senate presidency would ensure a robust legislature in the 9th Assembly.“Whoever is going to be elected as the next president of the Senate should have such antecedents that eminently qualify him for the job."The youth leader added that based on the tripod nature of governance in Nigeria – executive, legislature and judiciary, Sen. Goje was better qualified having had experience in two of the three arms.“The Senate should be led by a personality that has tasted the intrigues of power, particularly in two areas of being the Executive and the Legislative Arms of Government.“Taking a look at those eyeing the Senate Presidency, Senator Danjuma Goje is the only candidate that is eminently qualified for the job.“He was a Governor of Gombe state for eight years, after which he became a Senator,” he said.Makko described Goje as the father of modern-day Gombe state, saying that his achievements were countless.READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng: a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo OlupohundaGoje is an APC Senator representing Gombe Central, He had served as a member of the Bauchi State House of Assembly from 1979-1983, and became a Minister of State, Power & Steel from 1999–2001. He was later elected Governor of Gombe state and served for eight years.Meanwhile, Legit.ng had reported that Senators-elect of the 9th National Assembly are set for a real struggle during their inauguration over the kind of voting to use for electing presiding officers in the upper chamber.NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you betterProtect your vote to make it count - PDP Guber Candidate | Legit TV
With the Europa League Final, against Arsenal, just a matter of days away, Mauricio Sarri’s preparations have suffered another setback.Already set, courtesy of injuries, to be without the services of the talented trio of Antonio Rudiger, Callum Hudson-Odoi and Ruben Loftus-Cheek, another key component of the starting eleven could be set to miss out.According to the news source, the Guardian, our midfielder, N’Golo Kante is a major doubt for the final.The 28-year-old, who has only just recovered from a hamstring injury that saw him miss the final games of the Premier League season, has suffered a knee injury, in training, ahead of the game in Baku.Losing the aforementioned trio was already a major blow, to lose a fourth key member of the starting eleven would make the task of beating Arsenal that much harder.Fingers crossed that Kante recovers in time otherwise Sarri’s options for the game will be greatly reduced.Previous article by merlin
Ahead of the expiration of the 8th National Assembly, the management of the National Assembly has sacked the lawmakers from their various offices despite the fact that their tenures expire on June 8.It was gathered that the development had enforced the lawmakers to embark on the evacuation of their belongings from their offices, as they were given an ultimatum of 5pm of Tuesday (tomorrow).The development according, to investigations, has forced the senators and members of the House of Representatives to engage in last minute packing of electronic items and furniture in their offices.It was also learnt that some of the lawmakers have decided to sell out their belongings at giveaway prices.As of late Friday night till Sunday afternoon, trucks were noticed moving belongings of the lawmakers out of the premises of the National Assembly.A senior management staff member who spoke on anonymity said “It is true that we asked the lawmakers to pack out of their offices latest by 5pm on Tuesday and hand over their keys. We need to renovate the offices.“Apart from that, we are also going to re-allocate the offices before new lawmakers resume on June 11. The Eighth Assembly will end on June 8 and we don’t have enough time.”Read also: Since Atiku’s mandate was stolen, suicides, diseases and mass exodus have enveloped Nigeria- PDPSpeaking in the issue, Senator representing Rivers South-East, Magnus Abe said, “We were all aware that our four-year tenure is expiring. I don’t think we have to wait for the management to tell us to quit before we leave.“A lot of us have already moved out our personal belongings. We can even hand over the keys today if they want them.”However, some of the lawmakers who spoke with our correspondent expressed concerns that the management’s action would leave them stranded from Tuesday as they would not be able to access their offices.An outgoing member of the House of Representatives from the South-West said, “The items we are moving out of our offices have been sold to us.“The management valued them and asked us to remove them if we are interested. They will deduct the money from our severance allowances.”Join the conversationOpinions
ADVERTISEMENTThe Nigerian Air Force yesterday said its aircrafts destroyed an armed bandit’s camp, killing several bandits at Doumbourou forest, Zamfara State.A statement from Air Force spokesman, Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola said the Air Component of Operation Hadarin Daji destroyed the camp in an air strike.ADVERTISEMENTHe said the operation was executed on 25 May, after human intelligence reports indicated that some locations within the Forest were being used by the armed bandits as hideouts, including a group of huts belonging to a kingpin named “Dangote.”He said following confirmatory Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance, an Alpha Jet aircraft was detailed to attack the armed bandits’ camp leading to the destruction of their structures and neutralization of close to two dozen bandits.ADVERTISEMENTRelatedDear Esteemed reader,As part of our drive to keep improving the content of our newspaper, we are conducting a readership survey to enable us serve you better.Kindly take two minutes of your time to fill in this questionnaire.Thank you for your time. Click here to beginDownload Daily Trust News App
Masterpay Music Management present Kamelion a.k.a Kame Zizzle returns with a new conscious record titled “Oluwa Ni shola“, produced by BeatbyBigH M&M by Daihard_Beatz.Kamelion switch up his new ditty song with a perfect spice of his vocals make the mid-tempo song so unique for your listening pleasure.Listen & Download “Kamelion – Oluwa Ni Shola” below:-DOWNLOAD MP3What do you think about this song?We want to hear from you all.Drop your comments.Music See more post about kamelionShare this post with your Friends on
The All Progressive Congress, APC, Akwa Ibom State chapter, has alleged that the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, is trying to sabotage police investigation on an alleged illegal possession of card readers by a staff of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.The Chairman of the party, Mr Ini Okopido made this known yesterday during a press briefing at the party’s secretariat, Uyo, the state capital.DAILY POST reports that an INEC staff, Ejike Nwankwo was arrested by the Akwa Ibom State police command over possession of some card readers in the trunk of his car.Speaking to reporters, however, Okopido said: “This press conference is called to update you on the recent arrest by the police of an INEC staff for illegal possession of some card readers used in the last elections.“As you are aware, earlier this week the Akwa Ibom State police command paraded a staff of INEC, Mr. Ejike Nwankwo, who was arrested with some card readers in the trunk of his car.“These card readers, we understand, were some of those used during the last general elections. We believe that the card readers found with Mr. Nwankwo were some of those pre-loaded card readers used in rigging the elections in favour of the PDP and Udom Emmanuel,” he said.The party chair, who alleged that the PDP are mounting pressure on the police to kill the matter, explained that the aim is to show that such event did not happen.“Why are Akwa Ibom State government officials and PDP chieftains in the state piling pressure on the police to kill this matter? They are putting pressure on the police, so that it shows that the matter did not exist,” he said.“We wish to thank the police for their diligence and hard work in making this arrest which has undoubtedly brought to the fore dubious machinations of INEC under Mike Igini, the REC.“We thank God that the Nigerian police is up-to-date and we believe that they will do their investigations unravel the circumstances of the illegal possession of those devices“We request the police to get to the bottom of this stranger-than-fiction drama,” he added.Okopido also raised concern on the collaboration between PDP and INEC, adding that such relationship is questionable and suspicious as it is abnormal for a political party to defend INEC.“Gentlemen of the Press, have you noticed the speed with which PDP chieftains in the state and officials of Akwa Ibom State government rise to defend Mike Igini’s illegal actions? Isn’t it pretty curious that members of a political party that contested a disputed election have now turned themselves into INEC’s spokespersons?”It simply means that PDP and INEC in Akwa Ibom are one and the same thing. They have fused together like husband and wife,” he said.